Frequently Asked Questions for Cosmetic Acupuncture
How is the treatment done?
Cosmetic acupuncture is performed by inserting hair-fine, sterile, disposable acupuncture needles into the skin at different areas of the face and body. This helps to stimulate blood flow and collagen production to the face while balancing the whole body. Specific areas are targeted such as the wrinkles seen around the eyes and mouth or other areas that may have slipped from their original position such as jowls and eyelids.
How many treatments will I need?
Initially we recommend that you have a series of 12 treatments. For optimum results, the treatments should be done twice a week for six weeks.
However, sometimes this schedule isn’t possible for the client, so the initial series can be done with 2 treatments a week for the first 3 weeks and then once a week for 6 weeks.
After the initial series is completed, we recommend following up with a maintenance program of one treatment every four to eight weeks. The maintenance program will vary depending on your age and the quality of your skin.
How long are the treatments?
The initial treatment is an hour and a half and all other treatments are about an hour.
What are the typical results?
The overall results can help transform the skin, yielding a smoother, more radiant appearance while improving the underling disharmony to reveal the body’s natural beauty. Treating the underlying causes that can be contributing to the signs of aging is preferable to masking the symptoms and allowing dysfunction to continue within the body.
Some commonly seen benefits of Cosmetic acupuncture include:
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction of puffiness under the eyes and around the face
- Reduction of sagging jowls and eyelids
- Reduction of dark circles
- Improved facial muscle tone and elasticity
- Improved circulation to the face resulting in improved facial color and vibrancy
- Reduction in age spots and redness
- Reduction of stress in the face and body
- Improvement of overall health and energy
How much are the treatments?
Initial consultation and first session is $190.
Individual treatments are $165 each.
Series of 12 Follow Up Treatments can be purchased at a 10% discount.
What happens at the initial treatment?
1) During the initial consultation, we take a thorough health history and look at your lifestyle, diet and environmental exposure to determine the bodie’s imbalances based on a TCM diagnosis. We then follow with an assessment and exam of the various facial areas. Pictures will be taken during this initial visit. The initial treatment takes about an hour and a half.
2) During the treatment, the patient will be lying down comfortably. The face and body acupuncture points are sterilized and then sterilized single use needles are inserted at the various points that have been selected for treatment. Acupuncture point selection will vary with individuals. The patient is then left to relax while the needles are retained for a specific time before they are removed.
3) The treatment is followed with a TCM acupressure/tuina face, neck and scalp massage which focuses on increasing further circulation and overall balance. Only organic and herbal oils with pearl powder, all known for their rejuvenating properties, are used on the face. Many people are asleep by this time. The treatment usually lasts for about 45 minutes.
4) After the treatment is completed, dietary changes and/or herbs may be recommended and ear points utilized for at-home treatment between visits.
Is there any down time after the treatment, can I go back to work?
No, there is no down time needed after the treatment. You can easily return to work right away. You are often very relaxed after a treatment so you may not feel like jumping back into a hectic schedule right away.
Are the final results similar to a face lift or other procedures?
No, cosmetic acupuncture will not get the same results as a face lift. Results are subtle in comparison to cosmetic surgery. This is a rejuvenation treatment and cosmetic surgery results should not be expected. Cosmetic acupuncture results are much slower and less pronounced than with surgical or laser procedures, dermal fillers, or botox. So, don’t expect the same level of change or the immediate results received from these other therapies. However, cosmetic acupuncture is a great non-surgical alternative to a healthier and younger looking appearance.
Is Cosmetic Acupuncture safe?
Acupuncture is a very safe therapy that has been used successfully for thousands of years. However, in some cases mild bleeding or bruising can be a side effect seen with any acupuncture treatment - not common, but possible. In extremely rare instances it is possible to experience nerve damage, needle shock or the needles can break. This risk is reduced with cosmetic acupuncture, as the needles are only shallowly inserted, decreasing the risk of possible side effects.
Is the treatment painful?
No, the treatment is quite comfortable and normally painless. Some areas of the face are more sensitive than others so some people may experience a slight pinching with needle insertions in some areas, which is very brief. Acupuncture treatments are extremely relaxing for most people and many fall asleep on the table.
What is the difference between Micro-needling, Microcurrent Rejuvenating Facials and Cosmetic Acupuncture?
Cosmetic Acupuncture works directly on points on the face to increase collagen production and address fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging but it also incorporates a comprehensive TCM approach to overall health, looking at what is causing us to age. This treatment addresses the underlying deficiencies in the body and the systems that are not functioning properly to help support the overall healing process and promote optimum health. Body acupuncture points and herbs may also be recommended during this treatment. An initial series is 10 to 12 treatments, once or twice a week.
Micro-needling treatments use the body's natural response to healing to increase collagen and elastin in the skin. This skin rejuvenation treatment can treat fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, hyper- pigmentation, stretch marks and skin texture. An initial series is 6 treatments done over 6 months with at-home treatments in between.
Microcurrent Rejuvenating Facials work on the muscles to firm and lift while keeping the cells healthy and active with an increase in ATP production. This treatment can address fine lines and wrinkles, tonify and reeducate the muscles and revitalize the skin. The result is skin that is firmer, plumper and more hydrated. An initial series is 12 treatments done over a 6 week period, twice a week.
All three facial treatments can be used independently or in combination to keep your skin looking amazing. However, there are some restrictions if doing more than one therapy at a time in terms of when they can be done. We would be happy to go over this with you in more detail.